Wednesday, September 14, 2011

First Two Weeks of College.

Boy what a busy couple weeks it was.  And it left me with all the more certainty that having a full time position while doing school, is likely not going to work for me.  Maybe once upon a time I was able to shift around multiple jobs, theater, and family.  But for the moment, I just can’t juggle like I used to.  Come to think of it, in high school when I was at my busiest, what suffered most were my grades as I never had the time or concentration for homework.  I don’t want that happening here.  I have too much riding on this gamble.  But maybe I'm being a little unfair as I was also finishing with my moving endeavors this last couple weeks.

So, where do we start?  Well, as tradition would dictate, Monday.  But in the first week of school, Monday was Labor Day.  So, despite my panic thinking I needed to be removed from the work schedule (back in old Lake Geneva) for both Monday AND Thursday for class, I ended up laughing at myself for remembering schools still adhere to “holidays” and there would be no class.  (I say “still” adhere, because I’m willing to bank on that changing one day if things are allowed to continue to progress as they have been.)  So, the only day I needed removed from my work schedule before my move to Whitewater was Thursday.  I only had two days left.  Monday and Friday.  Two little shifts to get through.  Until I arrived at work on Monday (Labor Day) and was informed that “two” was now “one”.  ONE little shift to get through.  Why?  Because a coworker decided of her own volition to go to management and tell them I wanted her to take my Friday shift.  Because that’s okay, I don’t need the money to pay for anything expensive like tuition or anything.  I will just use this as motivation in my school as a reminder as to what I’m working to get away from.  I’m just not suited to working these kinds of low pay jobs with the constant backstabbing and scraping by.  Backstabbing should come at at LEAST a dollar an hour more.  :P

I spoke with management whom, for obvious legal purposes, would not be able to take my hours away midweek without either my permission or a reprimand being involved about what was going on.  The conclusion basically came down to them having taken her false request on good faith.  Something I would have been grateful for if that had been the case.  I couldn’t be angry with management for trying to be nice especially as they THOUGHT they were doing me a favor.  And they were very accommodating in offering for me to still work the shift (now WITH the girl that lied as it was too late to remove her) or even another shift for that day.  I considered it.  And I realized that if I came in that day, I would only be angry looking at the girl that decided she could get away with whatever she wanted.  And seeing as I had things to do and objects to pack…  I decided to take the free time.  Besides, I did not want my last shift there to be an angry one, and allowed Monday to be my last day at that location.  Friday I would dedicate to moving the bulk of my possessions.


Tuesday was my first day of college.  ….no not EVER.  I did try this whole secondary education once before.  It was a catastrophe.  Ask about it and I’ll tell you sometime.  This round?  Looks much more promising.  So I packed my supplies, hopped in the car, and drove to campus (some 40 minutes as I commuted the first week.)  When I arrived, I realize…. There is no parking on the street left, and I don’t have a permit for on campus.  Resulting in my first parking ticket.  :P  Damn.  But as far as the day goes, an acceptable sacrifice.

I arrive in the hallway outside my first class, English, where a bunch of young faces are gathered, staring silently at the dim room, waiting for the teacher.  As if waiting for permission to learn.  I walked in and the other students, after taking a moment for looking rather bewildered that I would just take it upon myself to do such a thing, followed.  The class went smoothly, as I expected, and I felt very excited to be back in this setting.  My hand was raised every five seconds it seemed to contribute something more.  And Next class up?  History.  And oh how I’ve despised history classes in the past.  In fact there has only ever been ONE history teacher that I didn’t want to force feed my textbook to.  And thankfully, this current teacher seems to have the same spirit about her.  I have hope.  Great hope that I won’t be bored this semester.  …Until second week of class that is.  Both my English Class and History Class have left me wanting to cattle prod the other students in motivational efforts.  I keep finding myself biting my tongue and having to hold back so as to give the others a chance to answer.  And of course we can’t move on from the information that I already have a firm understanding of, until the rest of the class shows they comprehend it as well.

But that’s okay.  I’m just happy to be here.  And there’s the BIG difference in comparing now to the last attempt at this whole college thing.  In fact, in the move I uncovered a diary of my first experiences at college round one.  I’d throw a few excerpts in here, but trust me, they are less than appropriate.

I’ve made it a point to stay behind and introduce myself to a few of my professors as I’m an “adult” student.  They all seem to appreciate the gesture and are very accommodating in asking if there are any questions or anything I need help with.  A few have even made a point to express their enjoyment in having an adult in class as adults typically have a more mature approach to education as well as life experience to bring to class.  My history teacher, when I introduced myself responded with sentiments of hoping to get the chance to say hello to me as I was the only adult in that period, but soon followed our exchange with, “you’re a little hard to get a peg on… you can’t have been out of school for TOO long…”  I smiled, thanked her, and responded with my age, which was generously more than half a decade added to her original assumption.  The funny portion to this little tale is that I’m not sure she is any older than I am.  A very young professor, I’m hoping to keep higher energy levels through the semester.

The classes went on.  World of the arts, and Society and Individual, both classes I reserve judgment on but am looking forward to Thursday’s lessons.  Why?  Because class is being replaced for BOTH periods with attendance to a Native American drum circle.  (I approve.)  :D  But my last class of my first day was Karate.  Except it wasn’t.  I had signed up for Karate.  A Japanese based martial art, and though differing greatly from Aikido the discipline in which I hold several belts, it would help to further my understanding I felt as it is a good pairing to Aikido.  What did I ACTUALLY sign up for?  Tae Kwon Do.  A KOREAN martial art discipline.

I had the option of dropping the class of course, but I need every little piece of credit I can grab this semester, lest I fall below the 15 credit average to keep my financial aid and etc….  This class brings me to a whopping 12.5.  :/  I need to stick with it.  And by week two I’m finding I’m actually doing quite well in it.  Not great.  But well.  The homework is a ton of exercising.  Push ups, sit ups, and just about every other ups you can imagine.  Between the constant walking from building to building, this homework, and the heavy workout achieved in the class itself, I think I will be in better shape by the end of this semester than I have been since I was last in college.  And hey!  Maybe I’ll get down to that size 10 again as well.  A girl can dream.

But speaking of walking, bringing us back to where  I left my car the morning of the first day, I DID indeed get a ticket.  Not horrible.  15 bucks.  Which would go up to 22 if not paid before the 14th.  So, by time I had the time to pay it was Friday afternoon.  Past closing for the cashiers office.  So, I did as the back of the ticket recommended and tried to pay online.  But that was a bust.  There actually is NO WAY to pay online….    Why they put nonexistent instructions there I can’t figure out.  Maybe it’s an experiment for the psych dept.  Anyway, next available time I had when they would be open was Tuesday.  So I made certain to leave early for class to hit the office on my way.  I waited five minutes just to get up to the window just to read a sign that says, no credit cards.  ARG!  …okay…  And then the girl at the window explains to me that I’m in the wrong building anyway, that I want the parking building, and gave me directions.  The upside is, I DID eventually make my way over to pay the ticket on time.  But even the parking building didn’t seem to understand the false directions on the back of the ticket for payments online.

In future blogs I will likely elaborate some of the other details, like my first trip grocery shopping, starting work here, and my new apartment and roommate.  But for now, it is late, and I am tired.  Goodnight world.  I hope you are all finding content adventures.  Mine continue with a grin and tummy ache.

No comments:

Post a Comment